View Single Post
Leigh 07:32 PM 11-06-2019
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Dear daycare providers, is it really a big deal to remind a kid to use the potty?
Any skill doesn't appear from nowhere. So, for the start, it is necessary to remind, a little later, the kid will start doing that without your reminding.
It can be a big deal when there are 11 other kids who need you and you can't be worried about catering to a parent who has a fantasy that her kid is potty trained. Potty trained kids need ZERO reminders to use the toilet. Kids who need reminders are not ready to train, IMO. I have never had a kid who was potty trained need to be told to use the toilet.

I work on potty training with kids when I feel that they are ready. When they are ready, training happens quickly. With my own child, I threw away his overnight diaper and told him that we weren't using diapers anymore and that he would be using the toilet from now on. He never had an accident and never had to be told to use the toilet after that. Most of my daycare kids trained the same way. I have a 3.5 year old boy with delays who would cry when we talked about using the potty. We worked on self help skills and dressing himself and things like that that have to be mastered before potty training. Today, I took him to the bathroom and he cried that he wanted to go home. I asked him to sit on the toilet to see if he knew how. He peed. He celebrated. He left here with dry pants all day. He used the toilet all day. I didn't remind him once.