View Single Post
My3cents 11:52 AM 07-10-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
That's one of the reasons I just don't use them. In WI, I can't use them for children under 3 anyway.

I do use the playpen on rare occasion for the one little man (like I said yesterday). But, there is a toy in there for comfort, and I present it as a break, not a time-out. Not sure how licensing would look at it, so I'd be unlikely to do it in front of a licenser. 99% of the time, redirection works way better anyway.

Now, if it's for screaming/crying and carrying on, I would really just keep leading him back to the crying spot or calming corner. Instead of "time-out", which means 1 minute per year of age or you say when he can come out, it's "here is the calming corner, come out when you are calm". Or "your screaming hurts my ears, so back and play when you are done". It's a comfy spot, not a hard chair with a dunce cap...(jk )
So after two minutes the child has not calmed down and is still in full blown mode, won't stay where you have placed them, kicking, screaming, you let them back into the group like that?

I love your comfy spot idea and if it works for you great. My kids would want to be placed there that would have no effect on them. They have those places in the general play area. A comfy spot would not keep this one from getting up and being obstinate anyway. If put him in a chair he gets up, if I walk away from him he steps off the zone mat that the chair is on, if I walk away he follows slowly carrying on and such like a little mad man. Then he can't calm down, that horrible sob sob that breaks your heart comes out and it just continues.

Today I did more talking out with the little and it did seem to be a bit better day. I think my little was over over tired and just entered land of no return. I just don't want this to become the norm- Another thing is one of the parents travels a lot for work and I know this has an effect. Super smart kiddo, keeps right up with my three's.