View Single Post
momofboys 08:16 AM 04-25-2010
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
we can all agree to disagree...

but that doesn't change the facts...

parents are willing to pay a licensed teacher more than they will pay someone with a GED. it's much like i'd pay my dentist more than i'd pay some guy with a GED to rip out my tooth.

having "a degree" isn't the point - because having "a degree" and having an "early childhood degree/being a licensed teacher" is different when it comes to caring for/teaching children. i'm sorry, but as a parent, i'd be willing to pay someone an extra 5 bucks who is a LICENSED teacher (not a self proclaimed "teacher") that went to college for four years to learn about young children vs. someone who may be really nice, but couldn't finish high school. MONEY is a factor, not only in childcare, but in every aspect of life - like it or not. i like to say, "you get what you pay for" and the parents i have agree. so, obviously i'm not alone in my thinking, even if i'm the odd man out here.
I never said you were the odd man out, I only said I don't feel like I should charge more than the going rate. I only have one family that I care for so I am clearly not in this to make a ton of money. The mom I provide care for told me she picked me because of my degree & because she could tell from the way I talked that I was intelligent (not my words, hers!). Apparently her past provider did not use proper grammar & she was worried about her kids picking up on that. I guess my point is that IMO it is fine for you to charge more, I would never say someone should not charge what someone is willing to pay. But in the real world many parents would take their hard-earned $$$ & go to a cheaper provider whether their previous one provider great care or not. I guess I will what happens see this fall when my parent (she's a teacher) returns & how she reacts to me raising my rates.: