View Single Post
momofsix 07:43 PM 12-02-2017
Originally Posted by e.j.:
I'm probably going to be the odd man out on this but if it were my newly 2 year old dcb, I think I'd encourage him to do things for himself but expect to still help him a lot - especially if his parents aren't working on independence skills at home. He's still on the young side so I don't think I'd let it get to the point where he'd be sobbing and missing snack with his friends. (I honestly don't mean that as a criticism; just saying I'd do things differently.) If he were older and I knew he was capable, I might feel different about it.
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
Yes, I agree as well. Little steps at a time & a lot of encouragement. I think we as child care professionals often see a child's potential & that is wonderful, but I think we also need to meet them where they're at. If mom & dad aren't encouraging it at home it will take time. Plus personality plays a role too. My six year old still tries to get me to help him with everything. My 18 mo & 3 yo love doing anything & everything by themselves. Different personalities. Personally, I've been there with a 3 yo dcg who refused to put on slip on shoes by herself & I let her sit & cry through all of outdoor play time several days in a row until she finally did it. If I were doing it over though, I would have expected her to work on it, but I would have"helped" her, not done it for her. We just don't know where these kids are coming from or why they feel incompetent in certain areas. It also isn't good for me or the other kids in care to hear that much crying. Lord knows I about joined her by day 3.
I absolutely agree with both of you.