View Single Post
nannyde 04:01 PM 03-16-2013
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:
I think many people reading your description of events in this thread (not the one from years ago) might assume as I did that it was the cousin nursing in her home.

I personally find your cousin's deceased husband's stepfather's daughter or extended relative immodest but since you brought it up in your older thread......you had never spoken to a twelve year old about breast feeding?

It not the breast feeding part of the story I find shocking but that you, a nurse, had never spoken to your twelve year old about this. Im sure he has either witnessed it or at least heard about it before that Thanksgiving. Twelve year old boys talk. Three of my sons are teens.

Again, I think that young mom was less modest than she should have been. I just don't understand your hostility in breast feeding in general.
You assume a LOT.

First, this wasn't a "young" mother. She is a FORTY year old woman with FOUR kids and the oldest is a FULL grown adult. Get the visual now? Why in the world would you assume she was YOUNG?

She's been on this planet long enough to KNOW better than to behave like that in front of a total STRANGER pre-teen male child at a dang holiday dinner. You aren't shocked by that?

Secondly, my kid is twelve. Of course I haven't discussed breast feeding with him. Why the HECK would I do that and what the HECK does that have to do with me being a nurse?

I haven't discussed formula with him.
I haven't discussed stage two baby food with him.
I haven't discussed puff cereal with him.
I haven't discussed hepatitis with him.
I haven't discussed weapons of mass destruction with him.
I haven't discussed toenail care of the elderly with him.

Want me to go on?

He's a pre teen who is currently up at the lake with a fishing rod trying to catch a bass in the middle of March in Iowa. That's how much HE knows.

Can you POSSIBLY conceive how completely REDICULOUS it would be for me to discuss BREAST FEEDING with him? Why the hail would I do that? What difference does it make to him? Why in the world would I bring something like that up to a young boy when NOTHING in his life whatsoever has to do with infants? He's hopefully YEARS away from being a parent.

Maybe I SHOULD give him an education. Maybe I need to teach him the art of education escalation. Maybe I need to help him develop a plan to GET an education the NEXT time a Mama is exposing her breast while feeding her little precious in public. Maybe I should encourage him to seize the opportunity and get that education by sitting three dang feet away and asking
lots
and lots
and LOTS
of questions. Maybe I should encourage him to video and share via his Facebook, twitter, and youtube with that handy dandy "where are you located" button so he can invite others to come and share the public experience with him, the baby, and Mama. That would work great in the mall!

Maybe I should encourage him to share HIS feelings about the experience him and the viewing public get during little darlins feeding to the feeding Mommy. He's real chatty and he has an opinion about everything.

It's natural and best for the baby and all. Why shouldn't he have a total experience and share that experience with his little world and the big wide world? Why would he need to learn about this from me when there are so many real life mommies out there doing the real thing? Let the public breastfeeders field his education in this matter.... They are surely more adept at it then his mama nurse would EVER be.

Yathink? Time to "go public" and "in your face".

That can go both ways. Maybe he needs to learn that.