View Single Post
nanglgrl 09:56 PM 06-24-2014
I tried really hard not to post but couldn't help myself and ended up posting multiple times. Ugh, I'm so mad. Every day we see the posts and articles about how expensive daycare is but now we also want providers to take sick children? The same providers that are lucky to make minimum wage when you count all of the time outside of daycare spent cleaning, shopping and planning. Not to mention all of the times we have to go to a doctor or get a prescription for us or our families because of "teething" or "allergies" that were brought in by a daycare child.
We once had a child with headlice make it in to daycare. I sent him home and treated my family and house. He came back and I realized an hour later that he still had it so I had to re-treat everything and spend all of that time dealing with it. It ended up costing me more than I even made watching the child that week. The same thing has happened with HFM when my child got painful sores in his mouth and could barely eat and colds that turned into bronchitis. In some instances it cost me to watch the child after you took what I made and deducted what the illness ended up costing my family.
I now have strict illness policies and I don't remember the last time I sent a child home for illness. On top of that the children in my care stay home on an average of 3 days a year because of illness but in those cases their parents kept them home and sometimes for mild symptoms but only because they didn't want to take the risk of spreading illness and having to find new daycare.
Parents need to understand that when they pay for group care they are paying for a portion of our time. 8 children = 1/8 of my time and after cleaning up and sanitizing after that one episode of diarrhea or vomiting you've used up your time.
I know I'm ranting. I've probably said the same things previous posters have mentioned but ugh, I'm so mad!