Thread: Venting Thread
View Single Post
CountryRoads 06:38 AM 01-22-2020
Originally Posted by Lil_Diddle:
I run an in home childcare in my basement, completely separate from my living area. A have an assistant and a back up substitute. It is my number one goal to be reliable. I’ve worked through a lot of things that I know some of these parents have called out for at their own job. In fact, I can count on one hand how many times I’ve closed unexpectedly, with little to no notice. I make it work. Even if I’m home sick or my children are home sick, we get no peace with the littles downstairs. But we make it work.

But heaven forbid I need to close, all I hear is “what am I supposed to do?” Which to me just seems so unappreciative and just rude. One of the first things I tell these parents is this is a home daycare, always be prepared with a back up plan. Obviously, my assistant and sub are unavailable, I have no idea what you should do. Sometimes it takes all I have to bite my tongue. And I end up apologizing!!! I shouldn’t have to apologize.

I apologized to an angry parent when I took a day off after my first miscarriage. I opened the daycare and came back to close on the day of my grandmothers funeral. I sang songs and played with their kids when my marriage was on the brink of divorce. I’ve worked through major headaches, and when parents come in I put on a happy face and smile like nothing is wrong. When my first grand baby was being born, I usually open at 7 but my assistant or sub couldn’t come in until 8. I had parents griping about that. Two weeks ago I came down with strep. I worked it out with my subs that daycare can be open as usual. In fact I could have used a personal day and got paid, but instead I paid for a sub to be there the full day. Now the night before I took my car to be dropped off at the shop for repairs. So my car wasn’t home. Do you know how grateful these parents were. Firstly only one family asked how I was feeling and told me to feel better. Another accidentally sent me a text ABOUT me, and how she and another parent were talking and my car was not even home. Not sure who that message was meant for, but apparently these parents have conversations about me. I hope she felt terrible when I replied. Now, I have plans to take next Monday off while my child is out of school. Already made plans with her and my nieces. My sub was set to cover me for the day. Well, she is human too and her daughter has to have tubes put in that day. If she doesn’t take this appointment it could be two more weeks to get her in. I completely understand. My other assistant has plans for the day as well, and Mondays are her day off and we have an agreement where she gets no school days off. It was hard, and I debated but I finally decided I would keep my plans with my children and nieces and use my FIRST personal day of the school year. (I go by school years. Not calendar years). Almost a weeks notice. I sent that message out 12 hours ago and only one response. (I should mention today was a snow day, so only two families were here) so now I’m stressed that my families are angry with me, talking behind my back. Thank goodness for my talk with my assistant who convinced me to take the day and told me I deserve it.

This current group of families, is just not my favorite. They are not personable. I only have one family that makes me feel appreciated and thanks me for all the work I do with their child. I know there is no solution other than to vent, but honestly I think the way the parents behave is causing me to burn out more than the actual working with children. I want to be seen as a person rather than just a service. I thought that’s why people chose home childcare, because it is more personable.
I'm so sorry you are dealing with rude, unappreciative parents!

I wish parents understood how much we sacrifice. I have in my contract that back-up care is encouraged for instances like last minute closures, doctor appointments, etc.(But, no one reads those things ) I've had to learn that I'm entitled to be closed whenever I want/need to be and it is the parents' problem if they have no back-up.

It's parents like the ones you are describing that have made me learn that. They take off work for vacations, doctor appointments, even days to do absolutely nothing, but for some reason it's frowned upon if we providers do the same thing.

It's frustrating and one of the things I struggle with in this line of work everyday. I always tell dh that this job would be so much better if we never had to deal with the parents

Don't feel bad AT ALL about taking that day off with your child! You will regret it if you don't.

Oh, and the families that got caught talking about you (hopefully it wasn't anything horrible?!), should be so embarrassed. I know I would be.