Thread: Potty Averse
View Single Post
284878 04:45 PM 09-09-2020
Originally Posted by dolores:
I have an almost 4yo boy who is potty averse which mom told me 2 months ago before he started. He refuses to go on the potty, both at home and at school, and is ok remaining in wet pullups which he objects to being changed too. Parents stated they don't know if to force it which may make it worse or do a reward system as pediatrician recommended which has not worked thus far. I've never experienced such extreme rejection for the potty or to be changed. Suggestions?
This happens, it is mainly a control issue.
Has something changed in his life? It could be anything, from parents fighting to moving to losing someone or new sibling on the way
Does he get to make choices throughout the day? Even little ones

I had a fully potty trained foster son that one day said "I am not going on the potty for you" So I said okay but no more underwear. In this case he hated pull ups so it worked.

Another foster son didn't care if he wore pull ups because it meant he got more attention (and he didn't have to stop playing to go pee)

So if rewards (stickers and stuff) don't work then you find what does work. What does he want? Have they tried a toilet toy? A toy that he only plays with when on the toilet (at home not day care) then once he is out of pill ups again he gets to keep it.