View Single Post
TomCopeland 09:21 AM 06-04-2010
Originally Posted by judytrickett:
Whew! Good thing there aren't just two of us sitting down in a "private room" then!

Whatever....

Every week I can look at the grocery flyers and see that THREE different stores all have Pillsbury Crescent Rolls on sale for one dollar. But, oh, no, they're not price fixing. They must just have strong mental telepathy skills to know what the competition is selling rolls for that week.

I would like to see them try to enforce that law with daycare providers.

Don't you just LOVE government?
Whether you discuss rates in a private room or at a training meeting, it's still illegal . Grocery stores, like many other businesses, constantly send their people to their competitor's stores to see what they are charging. Since the posting of prices in a store is public information, anyone can see it, and therefore it's okay to do. We did have a case here in Minnesota many years ago where the state attorney general's office investigated a complaint made by someone who attended a family child care association meeting where rates were discussed. The lawyer told the association they must sign a letter saying they would not do this again or there would be a fine of $10,000. I've not heard of price fixing violations being enforced other than this one case. In general, I think providers should be most careful about violating price fixing rules when they are at association meetings or other public conferences, etc..