View Single Post
Unregistered 09:33 PM 10-01-2009
I'm a little bit surprised that you all feel that way. I see this from a Licensed Daycare Provider's perspective. Here in Oregon, we have to have 8 hours of continuing education per 2-year licensing cycle. In addition to that, we have to re-take a Child & Infant First Aid & CPR course every 2 years, get re-certified as Food Handlers the same way someone working in a restaurant would, and we have a Home Health & Safety Inspection during the licensing year, and a "casual visit" in the non-licensing year. Therefore, in theory, a child coming to my home is safe from hazards - whether they be for physical injury or foodborne issues - that the average parents wouldn't even think of, and he is also in good hands if he has a medical issue. We were also trained, when we first applied to be Licensed Daycare Providers, on how to recognize Child Abuse & Neglect, and what processes to follow if it becomes necessary to report a case. That's a lot of time, effort, and expense that we have to go through. It's worth it, don't get me wrong. So when someone does this important job without the benefit of all that I have listed above, it's unfair to me, to the parents, and to the kids. JMHO.