View Single Post
MarinaVanessa 07:27 AM 05-31-2013
Did you talk to the parent about the issues and hand her the note?
Did you just slip the note in the child's bag or hand it to the parent along with the child's items but not mention the note at all?
Did you hand the note to the parent and ask that it be read?

If you didn't specifically talk to the parent about the issues then the parent probably didn't read it. Also, is the parent aware that her child is being dropped off so late? Maybe she did read the note but doesn't know that her child is being dropped off late and when she read that part she just figured it wasn't directed at her KWIM?

That's why although it is always best to give notes and notices in writing (and keep a copy in their files) I recommend talking to the parent face to face about the issues as well. Talk to her about it, go over the issues and mention that DCB has not been dropped off in time x amount of times, has not been fed before drop off, has not napped because he was allowed to sleep in at home etc. and then give some kind of penalty. If he is late and you don't get notice you won't wait for him and may leave on an outing without him or assume he is not coming and fill his spot for the day with a drop-in. If he is not fed breakfast and arrives after you have served it you will turn him away and he will need to be fed before he can come back (he will not be allowed to bring food with him to DC). If he does not nap at DC and is disruptive to the other nappers he will need to be picked up etc. Specifically mention that this applies to the days that her roommate drops off as well. Maybe mention that if the roommate can't follow the policies then roommate will no longer be allowed to drop him off etc.

If you want her to read the policies I really recommend that you sit down with her (and any new clients) and go through them together. IME they DO NOT read them fully if at all. If anything they scan them and then refer to them only when an issue comes up and then say "Oh, I didn't know that". The only way to make sure that they read them all and understand them is for you to go through them with you. I do this with all of my new clients and although I leaf through the handbook with them I have a bulleted list of what is in my handbook and I explain in my own words what the policy is, it goes much faster than reading the entire handbook. If you tell her to go home and read them, she probably won't ... from my experience anyway.