View Single Post
Cradle2crayons 10:38 PM 09-27-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
We live on near 50 acres out in the country. The property was clear cut long ago for farming but when hubs built the house he started restoring it. Since then, and the three years I've been around we've planted many thousands of trees, dug out the three ponds (and plan to do that again in the next few years), planted large chunks to CRP to restore native prairie grass habitat as well as farm food plots for wildlife (helps our hunting but also supports local deer populations through tough winters. We have an ENORMOUS garden the kids help me plant in indoor greenhouse in early spring, plant outdoors in late spring, weed throughout summer, harvest, prep, and eat.

That passion for nature is a HUGE part of my "program." Weather permitting we get outside for nature walks and exploring daily. I believe with all my heart that kids need to get back to the very basics if at all possible and those that do are blessed for having the opportunity.

Best opportunity to date, they got to watch a doe give birth to a fawn just off the backyard. I never thought I'd ever see anything like that but to watch the kids all marvel at the sight brought tears to my eyes.....

The planet needs kids who grow up with that awareness, respect and joy.
couldn't have said it better myself.

We currently have four does with babies on our property and the kids have been watching intently since the first pregnant one showed up is year all alone.

My three sibling set had never seen anything like it. The boy told his granny (who owns a snow cone stand) that he wanted to go work a day to buy treats for the mama dear. He was very proud of himself the day he came to daycare with the deer treats and apple corn he bought.

My kids have always been close to nature because they've grown up in the woods as did I, but seeing my daycare kids come into this life has been interesting to say the least!!

I think a fundamental part of who I am came from growing up in nature. Learning respect for it young.