View Single Post
Unregistered 07:17 PM 12-15-2008
Hi,
I believe it would be kept private in any state to file a complaint.
Not all complaints are legitimate. I see many disgruntled parents that make false complaints (often due to misunderstandings or disagreements in regards to not remembering what the contract and policies are about or abusing them, money owed, etc...).

I have only had 2 complaints. One parent 2 years ago, b/c I didn't keep her 3 kids with lice. I was going to wash their hair with Tea Tree oil (natural and gets rid of lice), that I bought. She said I could only use regular shampoo, I said no, she got furious, left and filed complaints. My parents of many years (5 parents) backed me up and said she was a problem parent (she was lying) and the complaints are in my file permanently, for everybody to read. 7 years ago, I had a young mom who kept messing up, not showing up, being late, etc... (her dad told me to terminate and that she would have to learn the hard way). After many months I terminated and she filed a complaint that I left her 2 year old outside unattended. I know which parents filed these complaints b/c all my other parents have been here for years. They are deciding if someday there will be a time limit for complaints to be public. So, you need to talk to references.

The # one recomendation is get REFERENCES! REFERENCES! REFERENCES!

If an in home provider has many references (good of course) and has been in business for years in comparison to the amount of complaints, has an interview (with children in care to be observed - which might have to be done on a second interview) and you walk away feeling comfortable with them (interacting with children, space to run daycare, cleanliness, choking / chemical hazzards, etc...) that is in my opinion one of the safest ways to find a quality provider.

Don't feel embarrassed to ask to see their bathroom (cleanliness, razors, shampoos), cleaning chemicals, animals, sleeping areas, etc...
I have a 170 lb dog, great with children, a good dog. He loves the parents and children, they never see him without a toy in his mouth, he is a giant baby. I don't leave him alone with children only for this reason.... I would not want my child in a daycare with someones dog, even if they assured me it was great with children. Since I wouldn't feel comfortable, I don't do it out of respect for the parents. A child might also hurt my dog

In our state we must keep ALL chemicals (shampoo, cleaning, toothpaste, everything) above counter level. Nothing can be counter level or lower (not even locked up).

Look all around, what is in a childs reach, do they have access to a stool / chair to gain access to unsafe things. VERY important, what about guns, weapons, tools, kitchen knives, etc...

My son left a little screen tool (that you use to push the screen cord into the hole around to keep the screen tight) in a drawer (it looks like a pizza cutter - except it is not thin to cut with like a pizza cutter, it is thick wide, very blunt, no sharpness on it and I got written up for tools/sharp objects in their reach). If you saw it, you would see, it is very blunt and wide, you can run it across baby skin all day and do no damage.

I had a dayacre network, helping parents and providers hook up and find good daycare, answer questions and feel at ease to leave their children - I hate for parents to feel that way. I think if a parent makes sure a provider is licensed, checks out the things I listed above, goes with their gut feeling, drops in unexpectedly, you can feel safe enough to relax and focus on your job.

Remember, REFERENCES! : )

Merry Christmas