Thread: Processed Foods
View Single Post
mom2many 12:01 PM 01-17-2013
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I'm wondering how expensive it would be to eat "real food" and especially in the winter when everything is sky high that you can find and really nothing is in season.

One other thing I'm thinking about is the time to put into making everything from scratch. The lady in the blog BC sent me says she spends LOTS of time in the kitchen and running a childcare you don't have that time.

Also, they take all their food with them everywhere they go (for social gatherings) but do eat out in restaurants so I'm not sure how that works. Restaurants use tons of processed foods so how would you eat out and call it "real food".
I get my fresh veggies from Costco. They are super cheap and it's always fresh and you get a lot for your money...way cheaper than at the grocery store! Last week I got broccoli, carrots, bell peppers, asparagus, brussel sprouts, mushrooms, spinach, green beans and spring lettuce mix and I'm almost out of everything.

I also get our meat from Costco too & re-pkg it into smaller amounts & freeze it.

For me cooking from "scratch" means not just opening up a box of something. I cook pork, beef, chicken & fish following recipes...my favorite is Allrecipes.com I use pkgs of pasta, rice and beans & sometimes even jar marinara sauce! If you look at the ingredients on the jars, you can find healthy choices that are low in sodium.

We seldom eat out and usually choose to have a yummy steak or lobster bbq'd by my hubby, when we want to splurge! It's way cheaper and just as good...if not better!