View Single Post
Blackcat31 11:58 AM 10-19-2012
Originally Posted by Willow:
To play devils advocate......

There was just a thread here a couple of days ago about a provider who was irritated that a parent sought out other care. Reason being, parent was going to need care beyond the hours that the provider is open.

Provider was irritated that the parent didn't ask her to be available later - and the thread got a lot of support from members here angry at parents who don't ask them first before setting up alternate care.

This is one of those things that is so provider specific.

I too emphasize I don't do late pick ups, ever, extreme emergencies aside. But some providers don't mind and would much prefer a parent have open communication with them if their needs change rather than go elsewhere. They WANT to work with parents on that and have no problems accommodating such requests.

To me that's not as much about having a backbone as it is making it clear to your parents what your individual preferences are. As a parent I can't say I'd naturally assume my child's provider would be that irate if I merely asked the question.
I love when people play devils advocate!

Always nice to talk about BOTH sides to get a good perspective.

In response to the other thread though, I think what posters were mad/upset about was the fact that the DCM hadn't asked and was obviously planning on leaving her current care provider with little or no notice and it didn't sound like the provider had a CLEAR NO EXCEPTIONS policy to keeping kids late so in that case, the parent should have asked.

I also encourage my parents to come to me about things they need and if I am able to accommodate them I absolutely will as I believe that is best business practice. HOWEVER, I do get angry, mad and frustrated when parents ask for things I clearly said "This is one rule I am very firm with so don't even as for late pick ups" 100X during the interview and repeated IN BOLD and underlined in my contract.

If I don't say that about a topic or subject, my door is always open for parents to ask.

If I can; I will.

If I can't; I won't and will say so.

If I bolded and underlined; DON'T ask. ever.