View Single Post
melilley 11:34 AM 08-20-2014
Before I opened my home dc, I worked in 3 different centers in the span of 14 years. Let me start by saying that I worked for corporate centers, which I believe, most if not all, are different than private centers like Sugar Magnolia's.

In my experience, I have only seen one child get kicked out of these corporate centers. (there may have been more, but I honestly don't think so). This child thought he was a dinosaur and went around biting everyone, constantly, at the age of 1.5. His admittedly let him watch Jurrasic Park and mom would tell us other things, no wonder he was the way he was. That was the only time I have seen a center expel a child.

I have seen kids hit, kick, smack teachers and other children. One child (4 years old) constantly would run out of a room and of course the teacher who was responsible for 11 other children would get into trouble. I'm not saying that the child shouldn't be supervised, but with what was expected of the teachers, it was difficult for them to provide one on one care-the center didn't care. I have never seen a director give a referral to a family with a child that needed one, maybe for fear of losing the child or I just may not have heard of them doing so.

As a home provider, I do refer children if I think that they need to be evaluated, even if I think I will lose the child.

Centers here will not (usually) term children because:
They are struggling to enroll new children and don't want to lose any current families, including aggressive children.

A lot of times, like bc said, directors are not in the room so they don't know the full extent of the problems with the children. Staff is just expected to deal with it.

A lot of directors are forced to maintain a quota and won't term. ( A huge corporate center in my area just shut down due to low enrollment)

I'm not sure if parents prefer centers over home dc's around here. I hear a lot of pros and cons of both. I do know that centers rates are significantly higher than home dc's, but a lot of centers are threatened with being shut down due to low enrollment, like the one near me.