View Single Post
DeirdreLLogan 02:38 AM 06-25-2014
Hi ladies!

I returned to work this week after 16 weeks of maternity leave. My son has been EBF on demand since day one. We've survived nasty reflux (that cause latching and production issues), horrible sleeping issues (never slept for more than 30 minutes) and through it all, I have kept up BFing.

I am now practically in tears because it seems like it may be coming to an end.

Aside from pumping to increase/maintain production during the worst of baby boys reflux, I have not pumped much since I came home from the hospital. But I NEVER had a problem. I even posted on here that I was EBFing nine to eleven times a day, and was pumping about 9oz "extra".

However, my return to work has been disastrous. I *barely* pump 12 oz... and that's if I'm lucky. And it's with the same pump I've had all along (Medela PISA). We have dedicated lactation rooms at work, though I am restricted to a tight 30 minute window. But I am able to pump 4 times a day, so my day goes like this.

around 6 or 6:30 - nurse baby
7:30 - drop to daycare
8:00 or so - pump
(9am - baby gets 6oz bottle at DC)
10:30 - pump
(12noon - baby gets 6oz bottle at DC)
1:00 - pump
(3:00 - baby gets 6oz bottle at DC)
3:30 - pump
5:00 - home and nurse baby
7:00ish - nurse / bath / nurse again
usually sleeps for 3 to 4 hours in an arms reach co sleeper
I go up to bed around 10 and once he awakes (around 11 or 12) I nurse him and we bedshare the rest of the night, nursing on demand... usually every 2 hours or so (i rarely bother to look at the clock, but I have been this week).

*** it does not matter if I spread the pumping out more than every 2.5 hours... I get 10oz at work regardless of if I pump 3 times or 4... then another oz or two when pumping in the evening after his two nursing sessions ***

So, by my numbers, he's nursing like... 8times a day with me AND getting three 6oz bottles.

Today, daycare told my husband that we need to send a 4th bottle. I think that sounds ridiculous. My son is 13lbs 8oz, so he's not exactly a huge baby. He's nursing A LOT... does he really need 24oz of milk at daycare??

I am also wondering if he's spitting up a lot. We would give him a bottle occassionally during my mat leave... just to make sure he'd take it... and while, yes, he WOULD suck down 6oz... he'd often times spit up. And even if he didn't... well... he was never getting three bottles back to back.

Anyway, there IS a question in here.

I have been pumping 4x a day at work and 2x at home (after nursing sessions) for 4 days now and I'm getting 12oz.

1. How can I increase my supply? (I have a hospital grade pump I've rented... should I try using that? It's not as convenient to drag to work, but I don't care. I'll do what it takes. I'm eating oatmeal and made lactation cookies. I'm trying to get as much water as is humanly possible. I have fenugreek but have not started taking it b/c I don't know how much too take.)

2. What do I do about daycare? I was considering sending four 4oz bottles tomorrow. They have 24oz of frozen milk in their freezer as well, so I do worry a little that they will just defrost and waste the breastmilk that I've given them. I don't know... I'm not trying to judge, but part of me wonders if they're just popping a bottle in his mouth anytime he cries. He's NOT a baby that likes to be put down... He'd never even been in a baby swing until about 2 weeks ago. He just hated every baby device on the market so I gave up and just wore him all the time / carried him . Anyway, I guess... what is reasonable of me to expect with daycare? I know I'm paying them to watch my kid... but I also recognize that they have several babies and they have to have SOME kind of structure. If i could afford a nanny to come and give individualized attention, I absolutely would, but it's just not an option. As it is... this in home daycare is costing me the same as my mortgage (gotta love Northern VA).

3. I am wondering if a "duvet day" would help? Does skin-to-skin help at this point? I'm wondering if spending as much time between Friday evening post-work until Sunday in bed with baby, nursing completely on demand and following each session with a 15 minute pump session with hospital grade pump will help to "super charge" my supply. Is that a ridiculous concept? Daycare is pushing me to follow their schedule, but, not to be a b***h, I don't care about their schedule as much as I care about my baby getting the best food for him

Thanks so much in advance ladies. I'm so desperate... and I just cried today because baby just screamed at the breast in frustration for almost an hour before finally calming down and latching (and passing out almost immediately). He did fine nursing the rest of the evening though.

Sorry I'm all over the place with this post... I'm just so stressed / worried. With his reflux issues... formula is NOT an option for me.

EDITING TO ADD:

Baby is 16weeks old (will be 4 months on the 9th). He has many wet diapers a day. Prior to DC he was pooping every 2 - 3 days... and would usually have 2 BM's on that day. Now that he is in daycare, he's having blowout diapers every other day.