View Single Post
professionalmom 05:55 PM 05-17-2010
I do not close for minor things. I have worked 16 hour days for a week straight even though I was miserably sick. I never even closed due to severe morning sickness. If I'm puking but I am sure it's not contagious, I am open. I only close (or inform them so they can make a decision) IF it's something very contagious (usually the flu). I have never closed to "take care of the husband" and I did not say that I did, but some of you are making it sound like that's what I said. I told her, "he came home and has been throwing up so he's on his way to the doctor, but I thought I should let you know and give you the heads up".

To the ones that are supportive - thanks.

Here's what I tell them "so-and-so has the flu so there has been an exposure to the flu. I am doing everything I can as quickly as I can to ensure that no one else will catch it. I will be here, but it's your call." But I almost never get past the "so-and-so has the flu" before they chime in with "ok, I'll take him /her to ..."

Plus, my thoughts are if I expect them to keep their sick children home AND not send the sick child with Tylenol or Motrin to mask the fever, don't I owe them the same courtesy of informing them and giving them that choice? Sure I can just not tell them, but then I would be guilty of the same thing that the parents are guilty of when they give their sick child Tylenol or Motrin to mask their fever and bring them anyway. Plus, if I don't tell them and their child gets the flu a couple days later, they will be ticked because I had the power to protect their child(ren) and didn't.

Yes, I have a sick policy and I am not operating outside of that policy in any way. Even if I am still willing to have the children come and the parents choose not to due to my illness (or my husband's or daughter's), I don't charge them. And I usually call them at least 2 hours in advance to give them time to contact their alternate.

I can't afford an assistant. Maybe a sub, but I haven't found anyone who would be willing to take something on a sporadic schedule. And we only have 2 family members in the area - both have heart conditions (one is the brother-in-law who had the stroke).