View Single Post
Joyfulnoise 12:27 PM 02-25-2021
Has anyone run a successful after school program for school age kids? And actually enjoyed it? lol I've heard several people mention school age kids, but it is always paired with how rough this age group is. I'm really struggling here. I love the kids, but we can't seem to get into a good groove & I find myself watching the clock in anxious anticipation of pick up time. Just being honest. It's typically just 2 hours after school, but it seems like the longest part of my whole day. And that's saying something b/c I do remote learning with 3 of my own kids all day while chasing my toddler. I think the problem is that they're all very self directed & want to do different things, but they can't seem to behave themselves in an orderly manner without me hands on guiding activities the whole time. To sit them down with a book or a box of legos I can be guaranteed that 2 of the boys at least will be rough housing in short order. They spend much of their time on the couch in timeout but it doesn't seem to phase them. If you've been successful in this area, what did/does your set up look like? Do they do centers? Have to choose and commit to a specific activity during free play? Do you lead projects most of the time? Any tips for success in this area?