View Single Post
Meeko 06:26 AM 05-30-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I had this kid who I adored. He was a blonde haired little angel. He had an older four year old brother who was in the Des Moines public schools special needs preschool for severe behaviour issues. When mom interviewed for baby she asked if I could take the brother before and after prek and on Wednesday.

I said NO I don't like older kids I haven't raised and I don't take behavior disorder kids.

After I had the angel for a few months she begged me to please try. I agreed to talk to the school, set up an escape plan if I had ANY issues with him, met with him alone and laid down the LAW, and threatened that if he gave me an iota of grief he was gone that day.

I had my helper full days and assigned to him and him alone for a week. Had my former helper for the first week so we had three adults.

Guess what? He was perfect. I had him.for the next six months and he was an angel like his brother. I was sick when.they moved. He turned out to be a doll. The behavior that got him into the special programs didn't exist in my environment. He was a perfectly normal kid.

It is the environment some times.
I agree. Try a two week trial and see how it goes.

When I first started out it was on an Air Force base. The director of the base center called me and told me they had a kid who was biting daily. She believed he was simply overwhelmed with the number of kids and would do better in a home daycare setting.

I told her I would try, but if he bit he was gone as I would not have the other kids in danger. But she was right. He never bit...not once. Didn't even try. He just needed a smaller setting where he didn't feel so lost. Gorgeous kid.