View Single Post
Unregistered 07:35 PM 05-18-2015
I still love themes! I know they have fallen out of favor with some people. Themes keep me motivated and I love how they seem to celebrate the things around us. They keep me energized and interested in my job.

My themes generally revolve around seasons/time of year but a theme like pets gets thrown in wherever.

I have a song board with index cards. One side has a picture and the other side has the song. The super star picks a few songs from the board and we sing them. These change each month. I have a super star each day.

The super star gets to do all kinds of things during the day.

I have a very simple science area. I have younger kids now. I may have a basket of shells and magnifying glasses or other simple things. This now sits on our lunch table(I have two dedicated child care rooms). I used to have a separate science table when I had older kids.

My sensory bin has the same thing (oatmeal) all the time, but I put in seasonal bins/containers, etc. to change it up.

Books in my book corner get changed once a month and relate to all the themes for the month if I have an older group. With a younger group I just have out board books that I rotate. I don't have these by theme.

The stories I read aloud relate to the theme. I also do Weekly Reader. They usually relate to our seasonal themes. Some I save for a different week.

Our creative art which is very open ended relates to our theme.

We do some cooking that relates to the theme such as making applesauce during our apple unit.