View Single Post
Blackcat31 08:13 AM 02-20-2018
Originally Posted by Jo123ABC:
I've actually thought about trying the errand excuse! That'll probably be my next tactic haha.

As for the milk, she wants me to only feed 10 oz. Per day. Two 5 oz feedings. I give food too but this baby wants three 5-6 oz sippy cups of milk with her food. All of my other kids get 3 cups of milk per day too. I don't want to cut her short. At least give me formula or something. I avoid juice because I'd rather give it as a treat and I feed a lot of fresh fruits instead.
A good rule of thumb, at least for me is honesty.
I wouldn't ever lie or pretend I have to be somewhere at pick up just so a parent doesn't linger. You'll end up having to perform the same act every day from now on...

Instead I choose to be open and honest and simply tell a parent, "I understand wanting to chit chat at the end of the day but the nature of my job does not allow me regular breaks during the day so at the end of the day, I want to be done. period. If you would like to chit chat, you are welcome to come a couple minutes earlier in the morning and chat before going to work."

9 out of 10 parents wouldn't dream of wasting THEIR time like that so they don't come early to chat.... they are wasting YOUR time at the end of the day and getting YOU to continue providing care/entertainment for their child for FREE....

Put a stop to it and simply tell them they need to get their child ready and go...don't stop to chat, smell the daisies or anything else, just get your kid and go home.

Everything that needs to be said should be said with a smile and if a parent doesn't understand and respect what you say they are showing you they do not value you or your time in the same manner they value theirs. Do you really want clients like that?

Like I said, I prefer honesty with a smile verses passive aggressive attempts to get selfish parents to see my perspective.

As for the parent with the milk issues.... provide her with a copy of the meal requirements from the food program. Tell her you are required to follow those requirements and if she wants something done differently she needs to have her child's physician fill out a special diet statement outlining feeding requirements.