View Single Post
nannyde 03:39 AM 12-28-2010
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I would not allow carseats to be left for the day. Carseats are cheap enough (sometimes even free if you qualify) that they can get two, one for each car.
My parents have two sets of car seats. My interview process takes a couple of weeks so they have time to get to searching for a second one.

I do not allow car seats in the house. They have to load and unload OUTSIDE. I don't let them bring them in and then take them out of the seat or bring the seat in and put the kid back in at the end of the day.

The car seat only comes into my house during the interview. As soon as they start they have to do all loading and unloading at the car.

Believe me they get VERY quick at it. It sounds hard but they can load their kid at the end of the day in SECONDS when it's just them and the driveway.

It really cut down on the amount of time I was doing with arrivals and departures. It saved seven minutes per day per child TOTAL (I did a time study on it over a period of a year.) This is in ADDITION to the time an infant who is not in a car seat takes on arrival and departure. Multiply that out and you will see how much time (money) that one policy can bring to your business. It comes out to be about 3.5 days per year per child. If you have three babies you will be giving away two weeks of free day care time per year JUST for the arrival and departure. It really adds up.

I would NEVER load a child into a car seat for a parent. If you do that you could be liable should the car seat fail in an accident. I explain to parents that for insurance purposes, I can't be a part of the car seat in any way. If I'm unloading or loading the kids in the seat I am REQUIRED to verify that the car seat is in working order, it has not expired, the straps are properly placed, all the clasps work properly etc. I do not want that responsibility. Out of sight... out of liability.

If they load and unload in the driveway I don't see it and am not a part of it in any way.

The main reason is that it takes too long for them to do arrival and departures. The reason that works with them is the insurance reason.