View Single Post
melskids 05:25 AM 01-24-2011
[quote=kareng;74856]
Originally Posted by Daycare_Mama:
I'm surprised so many have said they don't like Mother Goose Time. I have done it for a few months now and love it!

The problem I have with Mother Goose Time is that it lacks creativity on the kids part. There is basically one way to do the craft. I prefer child directed projects where they can use imagination and create what and how they want....and when as well. I worked at a program where they used MGT and after a few months the kids didn't even want to come to the table to do the craft. As far as the themes go.....they were good, but what happens when a child wants to learn about spiders and not what Mother Goose Time (or other canned curriculums) has in mind? I just find it much easier and child directed when I set the environment up in a way that gives kids many choices and we can learn what they want because that's when their interest is the highest. It's hard to explain. I know everyone has their own ways.....but this is just what works for me.
i agree. And since i've been using Creative Curriculum, i've noticed that it's not only is less money , it takes less prep time as well.

our day, if anyone is interested, looks much like this....

say our theme is Valentine's. (which by the way, i dont pick themes, i let the children decide what they want to do)

the dramatic play area will be set up like a DR.s office (for heart)

the block area is always open, but i may put out just the red blocks

cozy corner has tons of books about valentine's, friendship, and doctors

for fine motor, there will be red playdough, red hearts to lace, hearts to cut out or tear, a homemade heart shape puzzle, etc.

math center has red counters in it, and hearts in different colors and shapes (made from construction paper and laminated) for sorting by size or making patterns

science center might have picures of real hearts, mixing red paint, red cellophane to look through, etc

writing desk has red crayons/colored pencils. (i dont make the kids do worksheets, but there are always ones there if they want to do them, so maybe a few letter H ones, a heart maze, that sort of thing) i would add hearts cut out of sandpaper for rubbings, and letter stencils to make valentine cards.

cooking is heart shaped cookies or sandwiches, friendship fruit salad

the sand table has heart cookie cutters

for gross motor, we hop on hearts made from construction paper. i might put shapes or letters or colors on them, and play games to incorporate that..."hop on a pink heart." or " everyone hop on a heart with the letter H on it".

for art, the easel has red and white paint. i might put heart shaped paper there, or heart stamps. the table has materials put out, and the kids are free to choose what they want to create. (paper of different types, crayons, markers, glue, tissue paper, bingo dabbers, etc) i would probably add heart stickers or foam shapes and paper doiles (i always find at the $ store).

prepackaged crafts are great for fine motor and learning how to follow directions. And i LOVE them for days when the SA are here. keeps 'em busy. but in my opinion, they are not art.

so for me, it only takes and hour or so to change out activites, and look up a couple of songs for circle time. good storage is key, and so is laminating everything so it lasts longer.