View Single Post
Cat Herder 05:06 PM 01-06-2021
Originally Posted by grandmom:
As I recall, it says we must provide second helpings. But it does not say seconds of every food. Or 3rds, or 4ths. Seconds are offered here only after they've eaten everything I served. And sometimes there isn't enough for seconds of every food for every child. Personally I think this develops a habit of eating seconds all the time, creating a habit that ends up with over eaters.
Yours sounds similar to ours. Not all foods, but everything considered "nutritious".

"Compliance with USDA Nutritional Guidelines. Meals and snacks with serving sizes dependent upon the age of
the child shall meet nutritional guidelines as established by the United States Department of Agriculture Child and
Adult Care Food Program. Meals and snacks shall be varied daily, and additional servings of nutritious food shall be
offered to children over and above the required daily minimum,
if not contraindicated by special diet.

Non-nutritional Food. Foods and drinks with little or no nutritional value, i.e., sweets, soft drinks, etc. shall be
served only on special occasions and only in addition to the required nutritious meals and snacks. Powdered nonfat
dry milk shall not be used except for cooking purposes."