View Single Post
MyAngels 04:36 PM 09-30-2010
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Yes exactly (sorry to get off topic) and no offense taken really. I guess it kind of evens out because my DC income goes towards HIS mortgage payment not OUR mortgage payment (the house is his only) so I don't get to claim as much for the money that I give him from my income. It's the same for the bills, does that make sense?

I was explained that because I am not under the mortgage then I can't claim time/space % for the entire amount, only for the amount that I give him each month. So if I was on the mortgage we were married and did our taxes together and the mortgage was let's say $3,000 and I gave him $1,000 a month from my DC income we could claim the time/space % for the entire $3,000. Since I am not then I can only claim time/space % for the $1,000 that I do give him. Same goes for the utilities. Another reason that we don't get married is because well, we're poor lol. Which is why I need to apply for programs in order to be able to take classes... which leads, to the higher education that, the more I learn to be able to have a better program etc.

In essence it's a trade off and even then not a very good one since classes cost $80 per class plus the cost of books which is anywhere from $35-$150 for each class.
Hopefully this is on topic - I don't want to get scolded - if you take classes and need books be sure to take a look at renting (I use chegg.com) and also the international versions of textbooks (much cheaper to buy). In my experience the international versions are identical in content to the US published books but much cheaper. I've been renting, though, at about 1/4 of the cost of buying books for both of my college age kids for two years now.