View Single Post
cheerfuldom 11:02 AM 04-27-2012
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I worked at a centre with 40 kids for 5 years befor starting a home daycare. I needed to start slowly. I took in a couple of girls part-time 2 days a week and built up from there. I still limit the amount of kids I have at least until my own DD goes to school. Finding that parent/caregiver balance is tricky and my DD is by far my most challenging child which you might find as well. Eventhough I have the same rules for everyone she's the most defiant! I think once she starts school I will be able to take in more kids.

Another adjustment for me was having to cook and clean myself and getting organized in that area. I have a dog so that help a lot with food on the floor I also find nap times a bit of a struggle because of the different ages and some of my kids are beginning to drop naps which is hard....and I don't take infants for this reason. I plan my meals for the week and make quick meals whenever I can. There was a point when I would have the kids sit and watch tv while I cooked because I had to go up to my kitchen with the kids and I didn't want them to destroy my living room! Now I don't need to because my meals are quick or consist of food we've had the night before or slow cooker meals. It takes time to find meals the kids will eat and are quick to make. I serve the same 6-7 meals basically. You do what works as you get used to it.

Programming is very difficult!! I belong to a childcare organization so they host workshops where you make and take resources for circle. The resources can accommodate many different age groups so it's perfect. Mainly though I cater to the average age and maybe make an aspect of a game more difficult for an older kid somehow. You have to be quite creative. The younger ones tend to want to follow the older ones so it works well.

I don't know how I could do this job without my centre experience!! Having the experience with different kids and different behaviors has helped me a LOT!!

You'll do great
AGREE! my kids are the hardest. For each child that goes to school (my oldest will be going this fall), I will take on two daycare kids. My daycare kids are for the most part, easy.....parenting is 1000% harder, at least for me.