View Single Post
Starburst 11:54 PM 07-11-2013
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
I have a child named Charlotte, her nickname is.Charley. Her parents call her that. A have a child named Natalie, her nickname is.Nats. Again, her parents call her that. That's how nicknames work, generally. Does anyone else think a child nicknamed Hermie, because he.says "you hurt me" is something this childs parents will enjoy?
Well I guess "Hermie" could be short for Herman or a hermit (like a kid that keeps to themselves or is shy). My family always called me a hermit (and "crabby") because I hardly left my room.

I used to give some of the kids at the daycare I worked at nicknames. I called one little girl named Taylor-roo because when I would wake her up from her name she always jumped up into my arms like a little Kangaroo. She lit up every time I would call her that. She once even said her nickname {with no prompting} like Scooby-Doo says his name; it was so cute! Some of the other teachers thought it was cute and called her that too. Another girl was "Bella-Boo", another one Geegers (her name was Giovanna usually went by Gigi). I always called my cousin's son Jaybird (his name is Jaydon), my mom thought it was cute and even calls him that sometimes and he always laughs when her hears it.

I think in most cases a nickname makes them feel special, as long as its done in a loving way. Though I personally wouldn't give them a nickname due to bad behavior, in some ways it can be seen as positive punishment and as a form of shaming, in other ways it can be seen as rewarding them with a new nickname that they may actually like and try to live up to(kids often try to live up to labels adults give them {both good and bad}, as the "troublemaker" in another thread pointed out). I only give kids nicknames when they do something cute/funny/cool or because they are just so awesome .

I get what your saying about if the parents found out about the nickname and how upset they would be but from what I have observed on Nannyde's site it usually seems that 'what happens in daycare, stays in daycare' and that they are taught from the beginning that home and daycare are different and never shall the two meet (especially with the 'buh-bye outside' program) .