View Single Post
KTsKids 05:33 PM 07-29-2016
Before I start let me say that I realize I may have already dropped the ball here...

About 3 weeks ago I had a dcb (9 months old) get dropped off with a black eye, bruised nose/forhead, and scratches on his face. It looked awful, like he had been caught in a wildebeest stampede. Mom explains that he fell off of her bed and landed face down, she provides me with documentation from urgent care stating that it was just bruising and no concussion. She goes on to say that she was shocked that he was able to roll off the bed and that she didn't see it happen because she was DOWNSTAIRS DOING LAUNDRY!! (I know for a fact that she knows he can roll over because I've recently spoken with her about him not being able to sit up but that he was finally getting around by rolling.) Then she says "I guess I'll start leaving him in the crib if I can't watch him" as if it's a novel idea... I didn't think I should report her after this because while she clearly shouldn't have left him on a bed, it was obviously accidental and not malicious. Also she sought medical attention and they didn't feel the need to report, that I know of. I took photos of him at drop off and filed them away with the medical paperwork.

Jump to today... Dcb shows up with a bruised forehead and some minor scratches. Mom explains that once again, he rolled off the bed!!! I have no doubt she's telling the truth, that he fell off the bed. However for it to happen a second time seems like over the top carelessness. This is a very young first time mom and it's normal for parents to make honest mistakes. I keep thinking back to when I fell and dropped my infant son on his head in the driveway... but at this point I can honestly say I'm concerned for DCB's safety. In 6 years of doing this I've never needed to report a parent, and I'm really in a quandary. Am I worrying over nothing here?