View Single Post
KTsKids 05:35 AM 07-31-2016
Originally Posted by Silly Songs:
She most likely needs some parenting classes, along with child safety information. Do you know if any of the grandparents are in the picture ?
So here's the ironic thing, before doing childcare my line of work was teaching said parenting classes. I worked for a children's hospital as well as a non-profit called Safe Kids. Safe Kids entire mission is to reduce unintentional childhood injuries through education. I'm a certified child passenger safety technician and also taught classes in water safety, baby proofing, crib safety, poison prevention etc. I think that's part of why I feel so guilty about the second fall occurring. After the first accident I of course had a chat with her about proper supervision and how to prevent falls in the future, but I clearly didn't get my point across. I don't want to come off as insulting or condescending by trying to teach her things that most people would consider obvious, but I feel like I need to have a chat with her about safety basics...

The maternal grandfather is in the picture but from what I can gather that's where she picked up her current parenting skills. She's in the midst of a custody dispute with the father and the judge has appointed a guardian ad litem for DCB. The guardian actually interviewed me when she was first appointed so I have her contact information. I've already gone ahead and made a report with dfcs but I've considered contacting the guardian. I realize she isn't a social worker but she is a lawyer who's job it is to look out for DCB's best interest. Would you goes go that far or just leave it up to DFCS?