View Single Post
Unregistered 11:45 PM 12-30-2019
So I've worked alot on childcare my whole life. Daycares, preschools, mynown income daycare for a little while.

I was reading another board, a mom with a toddler asking should she stay at work part time, or start working full time. Many of the moms were like, toddlers dont remember anything so work now, and if anything work part time once they're older, when they can actually appreciate it. (And for some of the moms, because they enjoy older childhood years more than younger.)

One mom also mentioned her kid doesnt remember the name of a single teacher when he went to the same daycare and had the same teachers three years straight. And that comment got a lot of likes.
It made me feel bad I guess, because I know shes right. Sometimes I think about all the love and care I've given babies and little ones and knowing they forget us (I remember my daycare providers from when I was four though actually....I'm just realizing this ....I remember most of their names, certainly I remember them as individuals- their personalities).

How do you deal with having given many years of your life to people of an age where they will forget you - and maybe, parents who will forget you too or who dont think you're that important because their kid will forget you?

The big thing they all kept saying was that toddlers forget. How I feel though is, when what you experience still shapes you so fundamentally, who cares that you FORGOT?
It all still happened and the impact is lifelong.

And how can care providers love you like your parents do? They dont .....I know as a mom I fail alot, I also know I impart my love and confidence to my girls at this crucial age, all day . It isnt the same from caregivers even good ones. Like I have LOVED kids in my life , but, not how their parents love them.

Maybe I just feel strongly because I was in daycare and I in fact never felt close to my mom. I Ioved her It is in adulthood I have the best relationship with my mom. But her lack of presence when I was small- both emotional and physical presence - in my life was deeply felt when I was little. Very young I felt sadness and loneliness around that. The lack of her and that I was alone.

But these commenters were saying it may be nice for a mom to have memories of her kids during toddlerhood- but it makes no difference to the child because they wont remember. So if they're at a good daycare, it doesnt matter either way.
I know this is a novel but if you'd care to comment on how you feel about any of this I'd love it.