View Single Post
Mrs.Ky 05:14 AM 02-09-2011
Originally Posted by My4SunshineGirlsNY:
I am having an EXTREME hard time with my 2 year old dcb...he's very mean to all the other kids in my house...smashes toys over their heads for no reason and without warning, throws hard toys at them, throws crayons across my kitchen...yesterday he threw a playphone at me after he smashed it on my other dcb's head, then later on when he refused to nap I got down at his level to talk to him and he hit me in the face! These are daily battles.

He's at the point I want to let him go because everyone in the house is high stressed because of this boy, but his mom just switched her hours so he can get picked up sooner and the grandma watches him most of the day before he comes here, so now he's only here 3 hours except for one day out of the week he's here for 6.

When he's naughty I have been using the playpen for time outs that is set up in my living room, this way he's away from the other kids where he can't hurt them...I have tried other methods such as talking to him to help him understand but usually that ends up with me getting smacked in the face.

Lately he's climbing right out of the playpen the moment I put him in. My house is wide open so I have no small area to put him while he's in his throwing/hitting mood to keep the other kids (and myself) safe. Is there a playpen on the market that has higher sides so he won't climb out? I don't know what to do with this boy (other than terminate, but was hoping to avoid that as he's only here a short time).
You need to look at WHY he is acting this way, does Mom let him get away with murder at home, is he spoiled by Mom, does Mom punish for bad behavior and reward for good? If YES I would look at other things he may have some mental problems going on children who are like this misbehave for a reason. This is NOT in anyway normal toddler behavior I think you should also sit down with Mom and talk with her and see if he is this way at home.
Im NOT saying this child has mental problems but he sounds alot like my Son at the age of 2 who is ADHD he would scratch, bite, pull hair, hit kids with toys, throw toys, have awful tamtrums where he would bang his head and bruise it, I knew it wasnt normal behavior but the doctor kept reassuring me it was I wish I would of had someone tell me different at the time so I could of gotten him help earlier so PLEASE let Mom know this is not normal toddler behavior.