Thread: Processed Foods
View Single Post
Blackcat31 03:23 PM 01-15-2013
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I'm wondering how expensive it would be to eat "real food" and especially in the winter when everything is sky high that you can find and really nothing is in season.

One other thing I'm thinking about is the time to put into making everything from scratch. The lady in the blog BC sent me says she spends LOTS of time in the kitchen and running a childcare you don't have that time.

Also, they take all their food with them everywhere they go (for social gatherings) but do eat out in restaurants so I'm not sure how that works. Restaurants use tons of processed foods so how would you eat out and call it "real food".

My DH is the cook in our family. He cooks HUGE meals all at once and then separates them out into individual meals and freezes them for later use.

Tonight when he makes the wild rice hotdish I mentioned, he will make enough to feed atleast 6 people. He will separate it out into meals for two and then when we want to eat wild rice hotdish again, he just grabs a frozen packet and heats it up. Easy peasy.

Once per month, we go to Sam's Club and stock up on things. He will spend that same weekend, preparing several meals for later.

In the summer we garden and freeze all the produce we have grown for use in the winter. Some things we will buy fresh from the grocery store but it is just my DH and I at home so it isn't so expensive.

I can't answer the eating out question, because honestly we eat out VERY little and when we do, we are kind of picky about when and what we are eating.