Thread: A No Toy Week??
View Single Post
kendallina 11:15 AM 12-03-2010
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:
What a brilliant idea!! Less is more especially at this time of year.

We buy our kids each 3 presents from Santa to represent the 3 wisemen that came to see Jesus and people are shocked when I tell them they only get 3. But you know what...they actually cherish and play with those 3 toys. And before Christmas each of my girls chooses 3 of their current toys to donate to the less fortunate and they are great about it. I think most kids these days just get way too much at Christmas and lose the whole meaning.

I also don't have any toys with batteries and I try to get toys as simple as possible to encourage the kids' imaginations but this is a wonderful idea!

We have a lot of play silks here in different sizes that the kids find a million uses for so if you could find some of those it might add to their play.

I really think I might do this that last week leading up to Christmas. The only thing I might change is the books. I might hold onto those, although making them is a great idea too.
I like the 3 gifts for Christmas idea. My husband and I are still deciding how we want to do Christmas for our little one, who's 2. We feel like this year (we've already celebrated with her distant grandparents) and last year she got sooo much from her grandparents alone that it's just crazy(this year she probably opened 15 things just from them!). We try to not stress toys, but the temptation is so great, even for adults.