Thread: In Such A Rut
View Single Post
DaycareMomma 09:48 AM 11-09-2011
I have been doing daycare for 4 years. Back in August I had to up my rates due to being dropped to the lowest tier of the food program. As a result, I had a family of 2 leave me. They said that in fact, they were going to talk to me about lower their rates from the already low price they paid. I told them that I wasn't willing to go lower than what they were already paying because it was already $66 a week cheaper for them.

Now two weeks ago another family gave me notice stating they want their son to have more outdoor time and a preschool program. Well I know the outside time thing is a lie because here, unless the weather is terrible, we go outside every day. Plus the daycare they are going to is run by my best friend and I know for a fact, she doesn't provide a preschool program. I am assuming it is because I enforced my late fees on them and they are not happy. (Sorry, you can't not pay me on the last day of the week and then wait all the way until Monday evening to pay me and NOT get late fees).

So fast forward to last week, I had an interview with a family that has a 6 year old, 1 year old and is pregnant and due in May. Their current daycare has no openings for the infant and is already running on a variance so thats not an option. I told them I had an opening for all 3 of them, I just requested that they move the kids now because I will not hold those spots until August for them.

Their current provider called me and informed me that they were a bit leary of my age, I'm 25, and were unsure what to do. Well the mom called me yesterday and said they didn't want to move the kids right now.

Then yesterday afternoon I had a call from a lady asking for drop in care for her 5 year old and 10 month old one day a week. She asked how many kids I had and I told her and she goes "Thats it". So I said yes, thats it. Well she was supposed to come today at 11 to interview and guess what, its now 11:46 and she's still not here! So I was stood up!

I'm so wore out, I cannot afford to only be open with 1 full time, 1 school ager and 1 drop in.... I don't know what to do. I've advertised on facebook, in the local paper, word of mouth... Everything I can think of!

I just wish I could get some families in and start being happy again... I have heard rumors that the first family that left me has been spreading some pretty nasty rumors about me, so I'm sure that is effecting my enrollments big time. We live in a very small community.

Thanks for letting me vent, if anyone actually read this, thanks! Any advice?