View Single Post
melilley 08:21 PM 01-03-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Here in CT, we are required to have an emergency caregiver but that is considered different than a substitute. My aunt is my emergency caregiver but she doesn't have to be fingerprinted or have First Aid, etc. She just had to be able to get here within 10 minutes and her duty would be simply to call parents and tell them to pick up their kids due to the emergency. I might consider asking her to be the substitute since I'd just need her for appointments anyway. (My husband couldn't be it as his work shift is the same as mine. My parents are disabled and live quite a distance away anyway.) I'll look into the licensing requirements/differences between the two positions a bit more. Thanks.
We have the same rules in MI. An emergency person is just like you said
and assistants here have to have the same qualifications as the owner. Plus we have to do what's called an Ichat background check on the person, they have to have safe sleep and shaken baby syndrome training, blood borne pathogen training as well, in addition to the fingerprinting, TB test, medical clearance. I know a few providers who use their dh and they aren't trained, but I would feel guilty doing that in case anything happened! In fact, I don't think a lot of providers know the difference in an emergency person and assistant. When I told the one provider who had her mil or daughter fill in, she didn't even know!