View Single Post
Michael 08:50 PM 05-31-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I'm ignorant about this kind of stuff. Can you explain what's different between purchasing, holding and selling a domain name, and purchasing, holding and selling a trademark? Please and thanks
Here is my take. I've been paying lawyers for many years for intellectual property law matters. Trademarks are a different issue than generics. With a name like Rate.com, which is generic, there are few problems with trademarks as long as you are not infringing on one. Pepsi.com is not a generic and anyone that registers a name with it will automatically be considered a cybersquatter and get a Cease and Desist letter or get sued.

I use to own Igloo.com which is a generic name. As long as I didn't sell coolers, I was not infringing. I sold it to a Domain Name brokerage firm for good money.

I am using Daycare.com for daycare and childcare related business. No problems there. You can't get a trademark for what a name if defined as. If I were to get a trademark for the word Daycare. No one would be able to use it for business but me. So I can't get one. I can get a service mark for my Daycare.com logo though.