View Single Post
Preschool/daycare teacher 03:11 PM 01-15-2016
I have four kids enrolled, all of them part time and never all on the same day. And none of them will go play on their own. They seem to just want to follow me around all day, constantly talking, asking what I'm doing, telling me they're bored, asking to watch a movie, or asking to play a game on the computer. I don't allow electronics often (a movie is rare, and playing on the computer is limited to just a few minutes a day because that's all they'd do if I allowed it. I'd think they would get it that bugging me about it won't get them anywhere). The ages are 10 months, 2 years, 6 years, and 7 years. Most of the time I end up with opposite ages on the same day, like the 2 year old with the 7 year old, or the 10 month old with the 6 year old. So they don't really have a play mate their own age on the days they're here, and I understand they can get bored. But I have a little playroom with a variety of things they could play with, and it's organized and arranged to invite play, but they choose to follow me around instead. I'm trying to teach them to play on their own and not be so dependent on adults for entertainment or to be their play mate. But it's not working... Any suggestions on how to teach them to play on their own? I keep telling them to go play like NannyDE used to talk about, but they say they don't want to, they want to watch a movie instead. Or they throw a fit like in the 2 yr old's case. For example, if I try to send her off to go play while I prepare lunch, she won't go on her own and she'll launch into a fit if I try to gently lead her out of the kitchen. So lunch preparation can get really stressful. I make lunch prep as quick and easy as possible, but with a kid or two under foot in my tiny kitchen, it takes a lot longer than it should. I just want to tell them, "Stop following me! Go Play!"
Since I have so few kids on some days, there are times I don't have anything else I have to do and I could play with them, but I don't want them to get dependent on that. What would you do in those moments when you don't have anything you have to do, but you want them to learn to play on their own? Just so there isn't any misunderstanding, I do play with them throughout the day, I'm just trying to teach them to play on their own and not expect me to spend the entire day playing with them. I'm right there with them during lunch and snacks, going for walks around the neighborhood, during craft time or other table work, I play with them when they first get here and are trying to settle in for the day or at other random times of the day. So they are definitely getting enough interaction from me.