View Single Post
Hunni Bee 12:44 PM 07-02-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
But for 65.00 I would expect dinner for my child in an emergency and yes, delayed personal phone calls (canceled plans, whatever). If you just go on with your evening, why charge so much? Let mom pick him up at soccer with you or where ever you are going.

It just really depends on your setting - if you guys are all casual enough that a little late is ok, and a little phone time is fine too, whats the big deal?

Sometimes things really happen. Respecting someone does not mean you can bend time to get there faster, and it also doesn't mean that you have to ignore an overseas call from your mom.

I would look at a 65.00 bonus with glee and take my family out to dinner. I would also be understanding and kind, with an "Are you ok?".

We are all human here.

To some of the other posters in this thread - if you really feel that way about your kids' parents - why do you do this job?

I have to disagree. Keeping a child an hour past closing time without a call or arrangements from the DCPs and NOT calling Child Protective Services is not a service that should come with dinner and further rearrangement of the providers personal life, IMO. It was a courtesy, and the late fee is a penalty. As with any other service agreement, you pay for services rendered and if you violate the agreement, you get charged a penalty. Just because we provide services to children and families does not mean contracts are open to be violated at will.

The mom left her child at daycare beyond operating hours. After operating hours, the daycare turns back into a home. Being that she was basically stealing daycare at that point, she had no right to comment on the OP's phone call.

I won't go into details, but very recently we had a child to be left with no phone call and parents unreachable SEVERAL HOURS after closing. We would have and should have contacted CPS and charged a extremely hefty late fee, but didn't at the word of the director. When we finally caught up with the mother, she was unapologetic and unconcerned.

I personally love my job and my kids, but I don't like being taken advantage of and treated as if I don't have a life outside of daycare.