View Single Post
LysesKids 04:49 PM 05-23-2017
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
This is what I do not like (#2). I think that a majority of providers, both new and old, DO try to cover every base before terminating care. We see what we can do on our end, what changes can be made in the daily life of the child (naps, eating, consistency), ask the parents for cooperation and offer advice on what they can do at home, ect. But, when all else fails or if there is no cooperation from the parents, termination is in the best interest of all involved. It protects us, our other dc kids, our home. But it also puts the issue back on the parent and somewhat forces them to deal with it. They don't always and may hop over to the next dc, but history generally repeats itself if changes are not made, so it usually bites them in the bum.

I could never support the bolded part though (#2). There HAS to be consequences when no improvements are made and ultimately, we are private business owners. The amount of work and effort we want to put into a child should be our decision. It is great to give people tools, but eliminating the expulsion option is not the way to go. I know it is not the same, but I was reading the archives last night on the peanut allergy threads and it was a parent who knew about the allergy, but did not inform the dc provider, bc they knew they would have some form of protection under the ADA to be expelled at that point. It seemed like a move to force a provider to deal with something they were not capable of dealing with. I can see the similarities in the above. Forcing providers to work harder and potentially deal with aggressive/violent/abnormal behaviors for the sake of the child, when that is ultimately the responsibility of the parent. That is not okay, but even more, it is potentially dangerous for the provider and the other children in their care.
The Peanut allergy issue is exactly why I put into my policies the following in my Meals policy...

"I stick to a chemical free, organic diet due to my own health issues and because it's better for the children... I do not allow outside foods to be brought in unless a child has a special dietary need that can be verified in writing by a physician; That being said, I am gluten intolerant due to an autoimmune disease & I also care for Celiac children - I use a number of nut flours among other things for baking... I cannot guarantee to be a nut free home for this reason alone; the danger of cross contamination is something that cannot be avoided here."

Families are expected to read my entire website before contacting me thru the website (yes it is stated on the site)... essentially if they try & throw the allergy crap @ me, I remind them that there are at least 3 different policies about allergies on the site & they were told to read & agree to them before sending me their contact info; if you sign the contract agreeing to the policies in person, then you can't come back & bitch @ me because your child has a nut allergy and you didn't know I wouldn't do no peanut butter etc etc.