View Single Post
Willow 05:03 PM 10-18-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:

I just still cant wrap my finger on why he is having so many issues at his new school????
Ratios?

A home daycare provider rarely has as many kids in their charge as a teacher in a headstart program does.

It can be tough for many kiddos to adjust to not having as much one on one time. Perhaps he is merely testing the waters more to see what he can get away with because he realizes his teacher cannot keep as close an eye on him as you have been able to?

A sort of cry for attention - PAY ATTENTION TO MEEeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!

When he's back with you maybe emphasize personal responsibility for his actions. If he is playing independently very well praise him for that...."Johnny, I'm really proud that you are able to play with the cars by yourself in a very nice way" or after watching him interact from a distance "Johnny, the way you were just playing with Billy was great! You were so kind to him, you were sharing nice, good job!"

I'd probably go overkill with the feedback for awhile so that he learns that even when he thinks no one is watching they actually are. It'll drive home that he needs to behave even when an adult isn't right there to guide him and his actions.