View Single Post
QualiTcare 03:39 PM 11-10-2010
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Nope but I agree that it is VERY VERY creepy

I had one bite in 1993 in my first year of doing home day care and that was first and last time.

My kids have excellent behavior. They are balanced and stable children. They do not hit, bite, pinch, fight... nothing. They do not have ANY agressive behavior. None period.

I'm so confident about it that I actually advertise it on my website.

Discipline: We have little behavior issues with our kids. They don't hit, bite, fight, or be mean to each other in any way. The love each other and treat each other with respect and admiration. Most if not all of the children here have been raised with us since they were newborns or young infants. They have been brought up in our ways and have a strong attachment to the other kids and to their Nan.

We use a strict supervision and correction system that pretty much eliminates any aggressive behavior. We have "rules of play" that are wrought from 30 years of experience caring for kids which keep the kids focused on the toys and co-operative play. When children have escalating behavior we use "proximity control" or physically close supervision until the child exhibits the behaviors we seek for normal group activity.

We rely on the other children to show children with unwanted behavior what behavior we expect and promote. If a child persists with unnaceptable behavior we "team" them up with the child in the day care who is able to show them the proper way to conduct themselves. When children with behavior issues are surrounded by balanced and stable children they will adjust quickly to the conduct of the rest of the group. We encourage the older children to model kind and co-operative behavior and to mentor the younger children who need help. Works like a charm

Now and then a child may need a time out to cool their jets and get a chance to start over again. We rarely use this because it doesn't work very well but will give it a try if we are unsuccessful with our other methods. We can go years in between the need to use time out but we will give it a try now and then. We'll let you know if your child was put to time out and discuss with you what's going on that led to the separation from the other kids.

If your child has any behavior issues here you will be the first to know. We keep the parents informed of any behaviors that are requiring repeated corrections. (In other words... we rat them out ) Please keep us posted of any behavior issues you are having at home ESPECIALLY any kind of physical or violent acting out. We will be happy to help with advise or work on the issues here.

I honestly can't even imagine one of these kids hitting or being mean to another kid. It would be a pretty sad day here and I hope it never happens.
there's nothing sad about it. it's perfectly normal for toddlers who can't vocalize their needs/wants very well to act out by taking a toy (bc they can't or don't know how to ask for it), smacking, or even biting. i do think those behaviors can be stopped very quickly, but i don't see how they can be stopped from ever happening as it's a normal part of development - like trying to stop puberty.