View Single Post
Unregistered 07:46 PM 06-03-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
What many child care centres fail to realise is that you cannot force a child to sleep at night if they are not tired. You can have all the bedtime routines in the world, soft music, mummy lying there, it wont work if your child is not tired because they had a long afternoon nap. It is common sense.
What they also fail to realise is that a child going to bed late at night is not only difficult for parents, but it means the child GETS LESS SLEEP. The child wakes at 5.30am as per their normal body clock, gets a total of 7 or 8 hours sleep and is sleep deprived, irritable, uncooperative, difficult and unhappy. The child suffers. The child is not getting enough sleep.

I have read a lot on this thread about 'the child needs to nap' 'the child must need the sleep' but timing that sleep so that the child is able to receive a good 12 hours within every 24 hours, is very important.
My child naps at daycare, she then doesnt get enough sleep at night, we call the following day 'disabled day' - I know my child better than my left hand. I have a bedtime routine that works very well when she doesn't nap during the day. Why would she go to sleep at night if she is not tired?? she doesn't and either would I.

AMEN!!!! My 3 year old (and 10months... So almost 4) just fell asleep at 10pm because his daycare insists he nap for two hours every day! He doesn't nap at all on weekends and goes to bed like a charm by 8pm! I AM SO TIRED of hearing their excuses for why he has to nap!!did any of you brainiac daycare workers consider the fact that some children are napping because they aren't tired at bedtime because they are awake until 10pm, OF COURSE THEY ARE TIRED BY 12:30pm.... They only got 8 hours sleep the night before!! I do not have the option of another daycare as none in my area offer an early drop off other than this one.

BEYOND FRUSTRATED