Thread: Venting Thread
View Single Post
lostmymind 10:22 AM 11-20-2018
I'm new to the site, so hello! I own and run (by myself) a Before & After Care program, we also run during school breaks and summer (ages 5 & up). We opened in August of this year, so we are just a few months in. Anyhow, on to the venting....

I have a 5 year old that has recently tested on the spectrum. I've had him for over a month now and my patience is running super thin. He doesn't listen, we go over the same thing every. single. day. If he doesn't like what is said, he gets whiny and just plain bratty. His family situation is complicated, but when his guardian comes to pick him up, he changes into a devil child. He insists on making a mess, knocking stuff over, running away and throwing something. Then he asks his guardian if they are going to go and get a toy from the store. I'm all for rewarding, but huh?!

I understand he is special needs, but I'm not sure how much longer I can handle him. He isn't violent, so there isn't a direct reason for expulsion. I just don't know that I can handle this. all. the. time.

I should say my own children are now 8 & 11, so we are way past the toddler stage. But that is right where this kid is, between toddler/preschool mindset and behavior.