View Single Post
Blackcat31 07:05 AM 04-18-2014
Originally Posted by MCC:
The 20 month old.

I really feel like this can be resolved, and I don't want them to term.

I really am trying to take your advice and not think in terms of money, but I already have one opening right now, and having 2 openings puts me in a very uncomfortable spot, and having to tap into savings.

I also am feeling discouraged b/c this is now child 3 in the past 15 months that I've had to address behavior issues with, and the parents term immediately without trying to resolve the issues. It's hard to not think it's me causing the issue or wording something wrong with parents.
I am sure they are just wanting some clarification about what is happening. No one wants to think it is THEIR child that is the cause of daily issues for everyone else...kwim?

I would really try and make the meeting positive and let them know that you don't want them to leave because you are more than willing to work through these issues with them. Nothing is forever and this child's behavior IS going to change and the parents will need to know that you aren't going to bail in them whenever there is an issue.

I think parents just really need to know that we DO want to work with them and muddle through this together.

I would make sure they understand that you are not blaming anyone for anything and that the issue at hand IS temporary IF everyone is open and honest and working towards the same goal.

Make a big deal about how much you value that kind if relationship so they really feel that you ARE trying to make this work. Let them know you are trying because you DO care about their child and his (as well as everyone else's well-being is a priority)

I am sure because it is their child causing the stress that you may be thinking they are the problem when in reality kids go through all sorts of phases and as caregivers and parents, we just need to make sure we are on the same page and supporting one another by doing what is best for the child and the group he belongs to.

Who knows, in a couple months their kid could be the one getting picked on by an older child... things change, kids go through phases and the whole point of needing to have them aware of what is happening is so that everyone is safe, respected and cared for in one harmonious environment.