View Single Post
Nickel 09:12 AM 07-06-2012
We are actually Marine Corps. Just stationed near an air force base for now. Should be returning the a usmc base next year. I wanted to start doing FCC now so that when I'm on my own after pcs I'll know what to do. For the marine corps providers can only do fcc if they live on base. We cant live on base because we have too many pets.

Speaking of pets, has anyone had any issues with setting up child care with animals? I plan on crating mine while the kids are awake and letting them out while they nap. I have dogs and while they are all good with kids I don't want to run the risk of someone getting hurt and having to put my dog to sleep. It's not worth it, imho.

Thx for all of the awesome advice! I am unsure how I want to do hours for military families. Saying $125/week is good but when I look at possibly working 12 hour days five days a week and then adding on cleaning and prep time, that's $125 for 60-80 hrs/week. And I only want to start out with one or two children, so I'm not sure I want to work so many hours for so little money

Also, does anyone receive subsidy from military. I heard that infants were subsidized depending on income but after two years the families have to pay my regular rates. So in that case, how do I get paid? Do they pay FCC director and then she pays me, or do they pay me a portion and then fcc pays the rest?

I know I have so many questions that I need to just go in and talk to her about but I'm not sure she's in today. I heard she does inspections on Fridays and with the holiday I doubt she's even in the office. I guess I should call and set up an appointment but I hate talking to people on the phone. I know, horrible

Another question, I read in the minimum requirements that I must have a listed phone number. Does that mean I need to get a landline? We don't have one and I really have no desire to pay for one. Even the basic service with no features that's suppose to be $11/mnth comes out to $35 with taxes and fees added on.

Thx again for bearing with me. I'm new at this and excited and scared all at the same time! I was attending school using the gibill and the stipend was really nice. I started having some problems with my provider as her son had all these appts and she wouldn't be able to watch him. Then her house was really small and she didn't really interact with the kids much, so I started looking into the cdc on base. But when she finally got a spot I couldn't do it. She was so tiny and little and I didn't want to miss her growing up. And because of my constantly changing school schedule, I didn't want to have to drop her off by a certain time and miss spending time with her...

So I decided to postpone school until she started kindergarten but I miss that stipend money So I thought why not do FCC??? Even with one child I would make up the difference between my stipend and paying for her dc. AND when we PCS we never know how much our new area is going to be (I am soooo hoping for california next. I've never been and would love to "visit") so this way I would at least have references and experience before we PCS and I need to make the additional money.

So that's my story I guess. I seem to get side tracked so easily lately! lol.. I just don't have many friends here that I can talk to about this. Most of them are from school and i didn't tell them that I'm not going anymore. And my other friends are marines or vets so it's not like this would make interesting conversation for them... So please excuse my rambles!!! It's just so nice having a group of individuals who are supportive and kind.