View Single Post
QualiTcare 02:39 PM 03-02-2011
Originally Posted by ammama:
Interesting - I really tend to follow Waldorf methods, which believe that young children shouldn't be given options, as it causes stress in their lives. I tend to employ that line of thinking, and really limit the choices that my kids (and dck's) have.

I do not offer any choices on meals/snacks - you can eat what I give you. With my own DD2, I pick out her clothing (not DD7, I don't consider her a "young" child anymore).

I decide - when we go outside, where we are going outside (to the park or wherever), when we come back inside (unless a child is cold, then we'll go back in early, of course).

Children are free to pick their own activities during free play, of course, and I never force a child to participate in activities that I lead. They each also get to pick a story for our pre-nap storytime.

If I have put a certain toy/activity away in storage (I rotate what is out), and someone asks for it, I will not take it back out. They can play with what is out. I have been really trying to limit what I have 'out' at any one time too, to limit choice of toys (although, there is still ALOT out).

I don't think i'm overly strict or controlling at all - but I don't have any behavior problems with my current group (not to say I haven't had them in the past though!).
i don't think the article is suggesting to let children make big decisions about the daily routine - like whether or not to go outside or what time to go out.

of course you wouldn't let a child decide you're not going to have group time or read a story - but why not let them have choices about which story you're going to read? if they choose the story (from books you've approved) they'll be more interested aka more likely to listen, wouldn't you agree?

as i said before, you wouldn't let a child choose not to wear a warm shirt when it's cold out, but how does it affect anything if they choose from a red shirt or a blue shirt?

i guess we have different views on waldorf bc i don't believe the method is "young children shouldn't be given options," but that their choices should be limited. i don't think choosing what color shirt to wear or what story to listen to is a stressor nor what the method suggests at all.