View Single Post
Shell 05:29 PM 12-04-2013
Originally Posted by preschoolteacher:
I personally wasn't bothered at all by this thread. I don't think any of the providers are being mean-spirited with their comments about bad gifts. I didn't hear anyone say they wanted something expensive... just that it was insulting to be given something without thought. I have to agree that some of the gifts listed here didn't seem to have much thought put into them.

We do the most important job but daycare providers are almost always grossly underpaid and undervalued in our society. So on Christmas, which is the one time of the year we are meant to express our gratitude and appreciation to the important people in our lives, daycare providers end up getting a "eh, whatever I had laying around gift," certainly seems insulting. I personally would love a thank you note over a gift like that. Like most others here, I also don't expect to get anything expensive at all.

Also, the other posts on this board show how much thought providers are putting into making Christmas fun for the kids. The talk about cool Christmas projects and activities started immediately after November. I think part of the reason the "bad presents" are so hurtful is because they are so out-of-proportion to the amount of thought and consideration many providers put into making the holiday special for the kids.

I thought it was entertaining to read. Some days in this job, posts like this are exactly what I need.
Well said!