View Single Post
Lucy 03:44 PM 01-03-2014
Early on in my 20-years of DC, I had a mom of a 3 or 4 year old ask me, "So how do you get your breaks? I mean, I know you need a breather here and there, so how do you do it?" My thoughts were that she was an understanding mom who knew that this was a little bit stressful of a job, and she'd be great to work with! So I replied, "Well, nap time I suppose". She pretty much rolled her eyes, sighed, and said, "Ugh..... the MYTH of the nap." and then cut the interview short.

I was baffled. I do NOT insist on naps. It's determined by MY judgment as to whether any particular child benefits from a nap. But by me giving her that answer, she read into it that I was one who forced ALL children to take a nap no matter what. She couldn't have been any more WRONG in her assumption. Why couldn't she have just asked me whether I did indeed insist on naps??? What I really meant in my reply was that I'd have LESS KIDS during nap, and it would be down time.

Guess I dodged a bullet, but it struck me as so odd, and took awhile for me to reason through it. I still remember it YEARS later!!!

As for funnies during interviews, I had a mom of a newborn say, "You don't shake them, do you?" Seriously!!!