View Single Post
Leanna 05:43 AM 03-01-2014
Originally Posted by Mister Sir Husband:
I do agree with the fact that violations do matter, its just that (and I apologize if I am offending anyone by saying this) I don't see that its too hard to comply. Now I am just starting out but the list of things that I had to do to get licensed didn't seem to be that difficult, and this is basically the same list I am going by to pass inspections. As long as my chemicals are out of reach, sharp objects are taken care of, floors clean, heat on in winter, snow cleared off steps, outlets covered, cots/blankets stored properly, paperwork up to date.. etc.. The way I see it they can come visit me every week if they want to. I would enjoy the company for a few minutes and after they don't find anything I would bid them a safe journey home and "see ya next week"

I agree that its a rather long list of things that need to be done their way.. but its definitely not impossible to do. If I can be in compliance the first time they visit, I shouldn't have any problem passing the next 20 times they are here too.

Of course as I mentioned above, if they show up at a time I don't have any kids here.. well.. I may fail miserably. If I am closed, then no kids are showing up, and if my last kid left for the day and its only 3pm.. well there is about a zero chance that anyone is dropping off that late, so I very well may have a few violations when my inspection is at 4:20.

I bust my butt keeping things clean, safe, and within regulations here. Even so, life is not perfect and it doesn't take much to get cited.

Here are a few examples where, despite all of the prep. in the world, I still got cited.

#1: House is clean & safe. DCK's are here & we are doing our thing. Lic. shows up (let me interject that I really respect & like my lic. rep. She is very by the book and isn't afraid to say, "Let me check with my supervisor" if she isn't 100% sure about something.) and does an inspection. Well, my two boys had been repairing their skateboards in the backyard and left a can of WD-40 out. Even though I clearly would have seen it and picked it up when we got outside I got cited for it.

#2: All trash cans indoors and out must have lids on them. The lid blew off my outdoor trash can & I didn't know. Cited.

#3: DCB has a medical condition and I had to call an ambulance for him. The EMT wanted his information for the doctor at the hospital and I gave him DCB's info from file. You have to inform lic. if you have to call an ambulance for a child and they come do an inspection. I got cited for not having DCB's paperwork even though it was less than 24 hrs. since he got sick, he wasn't in attendance that day, and I explained why I didn't have his info. (This was when we were first learning about DCB's condition. Now I keep copies in case i have to call 911 and they need info to take with them.)

#4 All children must have current physicals on record. There is no grace period giving parents time to get the physical done - if the physical expires on March 1, you have to have a physical in their file on or before March 1st. However, as someone else already pointed out, insurance companies will not pay for a physical until it is one year and a day after their last one. Then the doctor may not have an opening or, even if you are lucky enough to snag an appointment this day, the doctor often has to reschedule. So do you tell a parent that their perfectly healthy child has to be excluded from care until they are able to get a physical (which they might have to wait up to two weeks for an opening)? Ding.

Again, i don't think anyone is saying that they are against the inspections themselves. It is how they are done. It is the unrealistic expectations. It is the regulations that are unenforceable unless our privacy is seriously, seriously invaded.